ladygageelols
       One of the greatest battles of all is the battle for social acceptance. Good gracious I have been through the fire, through the rain, before I experience the feeling of being socially accepted. When you're different, then you're a reject. Damn the majority! I've been singing Green Day's Minority song the whole day because I'm a weirdo during my preschool to highschool years. I have been a wallflower to them because I have a different perspective in  life.

      I have lived in the world of drama queens and drama kings. I remembered that day when I was in preschool. My teacher borrowed the hair accessory of one of my classmates. She carefully took it out of her hair then my classmate cried with something as simple as that. I never cried in school despite of the fact that everyone is trying to put me down that is why I am wondering, "What's the big deal if a teacher borrows your hair accessory?"

      They label me as insensitive. They call me names like android, manhid and baliw. It's because no matter what they do I don't cry but ofcourse I have a reason for that. My parents encouraged me not to be a crybaby in school because they can't always look after me during class hours. I bear that in mind that's why even if they hurt me physically, my tears won't fall. I simply ignore them til they get tired of trying to make me cry. I don't know what's the big deal why they want me to cry when I really don't want to.

       I get used to it as time passes, I cannot even feel the pain when someone hit me. I just try to avoid the people around me. I get along on school activities but the fact that I will hang out with them outside school premises, it's a no for me. Since I was a kid I hold grudges. Once someone hurts me, what they've done to me was tattooed across my whole life and I will not let it pass.

      The bad thing about the people around me during those years is that they consider small matters as big ones and big ones as small ones. They think that it is a big deal that I don't cry so they try so hard to make me cry when the real big deal is they are doing something to me that is unforgivable just because they want to do something as epic as making me cry. Imagine how I endure all of those mockeries, all of the beatings, all of the bullying, for almost 8 years of my life as a student.

      Social acceptance is that hard to achieve even if  you are strong enough. Maybe those childish attempts to make me cry had gone during my highschool years but they replaced physical pain by making me a wallflower. Yet I was strong. As I grow up I learned that I have to speak up. Those were the times I finally develop my own beliefs and fight for it.

      I guess as we grow up and gain experience, the more socially acceptable we become. I never thought that a reject like me could end up working in a cashier then as a salesperson because I thought that I will never be socially acceptable anymore. I realized that all I need was confidence and attitude or what they call swagger in urban terms. All my past insecurities drown in flames as time pass. I can say now that I'm socially accepted because I feel confident about myself and my ability to socialize.
0 Responses

Post a Comment